Saturday, May 22, 2010

I miss my cats

We both love our Gilly, our jack russell, but I love cats too, and even though Tony is not a cat person, he doesn't totally shy away from cats, and he's a me person :) so we'll get us some cats. I tease him I'd like 40 cats, and maybe I would actually, but I guess we'll start with about 4 instead, and just take it from there.

Also, Tony is a labrador person, so we'll get one or two of those too.

I grew up with cats, a particular favourite cat Ginger, that slept in my arms every night. She lived to be 17 years old. I had her from when I was 6 years old, and she died when I was 23, 4 and a half years after I left home. I stayed in the same town though (here in East London), and saw her 2 or 3 times a week when I popped in to visit. She wouldn't always sit out in front of the house, my folks said, but no matter how random my timing was to go and pop in at my folks for a quick visit, Ginger would be there in the front, waiting for me. She was really special to me, and was a huge part of my life.

Then, at my now ex husband, I had three cats. Two of them are still there. Peaches died after I left. I could not bring Peaches and Squash (brothers), or Spitfire ( a little girl kitty that we got about 5 years after Peaches and Squash) with to my folks when I left my husband, as my mother is allergic to cats. My mom's cat allergy seemed to get worse over the years, so I'm lucky she managed while I grew up with Ginger.

Peaches

Squash

Spitfire

I do miss Peaches, Squash and Spitfire, but it was best they stayed at the farm where they've been since they were tiny, even if my mother was not allergic to cats and at least they still see my boys about ten nights a month, and my boys tell me how my cats are doing too.

© copyright Teresa Schultz 2010




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, and thank you for leaving a comment!